Wright On! - Spring, 2017
Download Wright On!, the Wright's Spring 2017 newsletter in PDF format
Status of renovation funding
Generous individuals and foundations have contributed or pledged $950,000 to date toward the $1.5 million required to fully renovate and restore our historic Wright Opera House. We’re nearly two-thirds to the finish line! That means we have that last critical third to go.
New renovations and restorations
The completed work will re-establish the Wright as a state of the art facility capable of producing and presenting an unlimited variety of cultural programs and community events. We hope you’ll enjoy these quarterly updates as our new way of keeping all our donors and friends abreast of what is going on at the Wright.
Assembly SpaceRoom to assemble with open doors connecting theater to lobby.
Box OfficeCompleted and operational in 2015!
New StairsComplete and, along with an elevator, ascending to new heights! :D
New RoofNew roof installed in 2015
TheaterNew theater with closed doors.
Upstairs lobbyRendering of the upstairs lobby.
Hidden ArchHidden Arch will back the concessions area.
With cramped backstage and wing space, no dressing rooms and outdated electrics, the Wright can be a difficult sell for many visiting arts organizations. The Wright in its present state restricts even what our local arts organizations can present to our community.
In the coming months, we will be inviting you in to see for yourself how we will knock out the back wall of the theatre to create new space, double the size of the lobby, create long term rental units, and so much more. There’s nothing like touring all three floors of this historic wonder to see what we’ve uncovered, and to sense the excitement of what’s to come.
Even with the current limitations, today’s Wright regularly partners with the Ouray County Performing Arts Guild, Weehawken Creative Arts, Ouray County Players, Ouray County Arts Association, UpstART and other organizations to present dance, music and theatre.
The Wright also provides free or low cost access to many regional nonprofits including Ouray School, Ouray Library, Second Chance Humane Society, Timshel Theatre, dZi Foundation, Ouray Ice Park, and Ouray County Historical Society. Movies are featured on Wednesdays and fun and informative lectures are being scheduled throughout the year.
A gift to the community
A gift to the Wright is a gift to the communities of southwestern Colorado. The San Juan Mountains and the towns of Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton, Durango and Telluride are world-class destinations for anyone seeking natural beauty. Let’s work together to make our cultural offerings rival what nature has provided.
Thanks to our generous community, much has already been completed. And the renovation work continues even as a growing calendar of programming fills the stage!
Here's what's coming
- Air conditioning for audience comfort even during the hottest summer months
- Overhaul of the electrical system and installation of state of the art lighting and sound equipment
- Enlarged backstage area including dressing rooms and wing space, making it possible to bring to our region entertainment requiring professional facilities
- Retractable theatre wall enabling us to separate or combine the theatre auditorium and the upstairs lobby depending on performance or special event needs
- Expanded lobby with spacious ADA restrooms, additional family restroom, catering kitchen, and show bar/tavern
- Upstairs concession area with catering facilities for community events
- Fire safety sprinkler system
- Foundation and masonry repairs
- Preservation and restoration of the Wright’s stately and historic doors, windows, Mesker façade and balcony
Thank you for being a part of the Wright's success!
- Hits: 1543